Most executives believe that their years of experience and job titles will speak for them in their search for a new job opportunity. They underestimate the impact of SEO and ATS methodologies. Often, they don’t know how to clearly articulate what sets them apart from others.
The impact of not clearly defining what is your unique value proposition is that your value as an executive leader quickly becomes a secret which means no referral leads from your network, no hidden job market leads, no promotions, and weak interviewing skills.
You are the best person to stand up for yourself and communicate your value. But how, exactly, do you do that?
1. Determine The Characteristics Of Your Unique Value Proposition (UVP)
A clear UVP shows how you stand out from your competitors. Without a differentiator, it’s easy to get lost in a sea of applicants and 10X more difficult to be noticed and get interviews.
The right UVP will help you massively differentiate yourself in a noisy and overcrowded talent market and therefore attract the right opportunities and connections to you. Your UVP is what makes you different from your peers and what’s of most value to the organization in which you lead and serve.
When you can clearly articulate your UVP to others:
- You will be able to command the attention of key decision-makers during networking calls and be offered referrals effortlessly.
- Recruiters will seek you out for jobs that are the right fit for you.
- You will have more promotion opportunities.
2. Design Your Resumes & Linkedin Profile To Clearly State What Is Your Unique Value Proposition
In today’s job market, your LinkedIn profile and resume are the keys to getting interviews. LinkedIn is used in over 90% of all job searches before resumes are seen.
Your resume and LinkedIn are marketing pieces, representing you for opportunities with the goal of getting interviews and connections. The key to generating interviews and referrals is to clearly articulate your UVP on resumes and your LinkedIn profile.
Showcasing your UVP on your resume and LinkedIn profile will:
- Help you get noticed and selected faster from your dream companies.
- Increase your visibility and credibility as an expert in your field.
- Make you an obvious interview candidate for your dream job.
- Attract opportunities to you as recruiters and hiring managers seek you out.
3. Develop A Professional Positioning Statement From Your UVP
Being seen as an expert in what you do is fundamental to job search and career success. Credibility, visibility, and accessibility are paramount in an executive search and an executive-level career.
Once you reach the executive level, you need a professional positioning strategy and professional brand to ensure that you and your UVP are not a secret so that you are seen as an expert by your potential employers.
With your professional positioning strategy in place:
- You will have a clear, cohesive, professional brand that attracts recruiters and future employers to you.
- You and your unique value proposition (UVP) will no longer be a secret.
Dominate the Job Market Through Clear Communication of Your Value
Because most executives still believe that their years of experience and job titles will speak for them, you have an opportunity to stand out by taking proactive action.
You may not at this moment be able to articulate what sets you apart from others, but you do know why it’s important and can now take the steps to clearly articulate what is your unique value proposition.
By doing so, you’ll set yourself apart in the job market and position yourself as the expert that you are.
If you need help, we should talk. Click the button below to schedule a time.